(Normal Price If Bought Individually £140.97)
Sonia Hollis's (BSL Interpreter) Online Resources
- How to fingerspell the alphabet
- How to sign your own name
- How to understand various names that are being signed to you
- Discover the difference in the number system of BSL
- How to greet a Deaf person correctly
- How to respond to simple phrases and/or questions
- How to use unique placements of signs depending on how they're being discussed
- How to sign the proper signs for colours.
This is the second course in the Learn British Sign Language The EASY Way Series! This online course takes you through the complete range of topics and vocabulary needed for Level 1 in BSL.
You can view all content from your desktop, tablet or Smartphone.
The topics covered are:
- Topic A: Meeting People, At Home, People and Animals,
- Topic B: Using numbers for Age, Time, Money and Calendar,
- Topic C: Weather,
- Topic D: Transport,
- Topic E Directions,
- Topic F: Hobbies/Activities and Occupations
- Topic G: Refreshments.
Throughout this course level, you'll discover vocabulary sections, story receptive skill practice with and without voice, as well as question & answer sections to recap what you're learning. You'll also discover a wide range of information including....
- What exactly is BSL?
- Who uses BSL and why?
- ‘Aquisition of Sign Language’
- What is meant by Deaf/Deaf Culture
- The main features of BSL
- Sign systems that are used in schools
- Proper sign language etiquette
- Technology/equipment used by Deaf people and Deaf organisations
Learn British Sign Language The EASY Way! is the first video series created by Sonia Hollis a qualified sign language interpreter (MRSLI). It covers the whole Level 1 BSL curriculum and has a run time of 146 minutes. There is also some bonus material in this resource in addition to the Level 1 topics.
This video content has sections with and without text to encourage receptive skills and there is no voice over.
There are 2 bonus sections – fingerspelling practise with over 90 names and a section covering the 6 major handshapes in BSL covering an additional 400 signs.
Chapter 1: Introductions, Greetings and Family Members)
Chapter 2: Using Numbers, Calendar and Time
Chapter 3: Weather, Transport and Directions
Chapter 4: At Home, Rooms and Objects
Chapter 5: Animals, Hobbies, Work and Food
Bonus 1: Fingerspelling practise with over 90 names
Bonus 2: 6 major handshapes in BSL covering 400 signs
This is the third course in the Learn British Sign Language The EASY Way Series! In this third course, you'll discover sections that are split up to cover the same topics you'll need for Level 2 in British Sign Language. These sections cover vocabulary, questions & answers, phrases and story receptive skills practice.
This can be viewed on any desktop, tablet or smartphone
The level of the course covers these main topics:
- Topic 1: About you and Everyday Conversations introductory phrases, describing people, activities at school, jobs & activities at work, attitudes and opinions, time vocabulary, activities in the home, leisure activities, opinion/likes and dislikes, and illnesses and health
- Topic 2: Eating and Drinking contains story practise and Question & Answer sections for ordering food and drink, and offering opinions, describing preparation of food, eating out, and comparing food types and explaining your views
- Topic 3: Shopping and Spending contains story practise/Question and answer sections on paying for services, different types of shops and payments, shopping experiences, and comparing items that you have bought.
- Topic 4: Travel and Holidays contains both stories and question and answers about countries, places in England, booking a holiday and a camping experience.
- Topic 1: About You and Everyday Conversations – Vocabulary
- Topic 2 : Eating and Drinking – Vocabulary
- Topic 3: Shopping and Spending – Vocabulary
- Topic 4 : Travel and Holidays – Vocabulary
The Level 2 online course also includes information covering: negation in BSL, grammar rules, indicating plurality, question structure, marking time, and quality in BSL.
Alison Wherry-Alimo was born Deaf, her parents are hearing and she has an older Brother who is also Deaf. Alison has communicated using BSL all of her life and has been a BSL teacher for 22 years. Alison has also done a bit of BSL presenting in the past. Alison enjoys taking part in a number of different outdoor activities in the spare time and also supporting other Deaf members in her community.
Mark is an active member of the Deaf community with several years of experience of working with Deaf organisations including the British Deaf Association, ‘The Vibe’, BBC ‘See Hear’, ‘Vee TV’ and numerous local Deaf clubs. He is also one of the founders and director of the award winning production/multimedia and BSL training company Remark! who regularly sponsor Deaf individuals and events. Mark is proud to be the fourth generation Deaf member of his family. A native Londoner, he has grown up attending Deaf events socialising with BSL users.
Sonia Hollis - Owner of Learn Sign Language Ltd
Sonia Hollis is a hearing British Sign Language Interpreter based in Northamptonshire.
She works freelance as an interpreter for various sign language agencies covering various settings such as medical, education, social services and community interpreting.
Previously she taught in an education setting teaching students both Level 1 and Level 2 in BSL developing the Learn Sign Language website.
Initially the products were presented by herself through the levels 1 and 2, and then more recently she engaged the services of various Deaf professionals to widen the spectrum and incorporate story telling, using our own branded colour story sequence pictures, and also 2 part BSL dialogues showing conversations between Deaf people.
There is a huge demand for people wanting to learn BSL and Learn Sign Language (LSL) helps to bridge that gap.